Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Morning After

by: Samantha Bermitz



Back in the real world there are cars, cell phones, and depending on your location, sunshine. I have to cook my own living expenses, and all the things that were provided by Yes Bay are now gone. Being back in Florida is a lot to get used to, and I had to spend a lot of money getting everything organized.
  • Getting insurance for my car:
This was a lot more difficult than I had planed. I thought I would try progressive first, but it turned out to be more than I cared to spend, with an initial down payment and no 6 month payment option. Then I called several private insurance companies and didn’t qualify for coverage because of my lack of previous credit and insurance. (Mind you, I just graduated high school.) Geico ended up being my most affordable option, $1260.88 for 6 months, so of course I went everyone's favorite computer generated gecko.
  • Getting my car registered and buying my tags:
What was supposed to be an easy task was stretched into the longest and most difficult. When I arrived at the Department of Motor Vehicles, I noticed a lot of people waiting and no one being helped. I thought it was weird, but I got my number and sat down anyway. As I looked up at the number board, I realized that my number would be up shortly. However, as the lady who was in charge walked out and called for every ones attention, my excitement faded. Apparently the computers were down, and they couldn’t do anything without them. No one knew when the system would be up and running again. I wouldn’t have minded if I didn’t need it that day, but wanting to get behind the wheel, I held my ground for 4 hours. When the computers were up again I was able to get tags and register my car. In the end I spent $460.55: $250 on the tag and the rest on the registration. What a waste of a beautiful day!
  • Registering for College:
Registering for classes was far less frustrating than registering my car. I finalized my enrollment, got my ID, and ordered my chef uniforms. Everything went smoothly, but they estimated $900 for books alone per semester. Yikes. At least I’ll be all set when I get back from my mini-vacation with my boyfriend.
There were a lot of silly things that I had to get used to such as the bright sunny days of Florida, answering my phone, carrying my wallet around, and driving. Luckily, I got the hang of everything pretty quick. All in all, I’m glad to be home. Though I miss Yes Bay,it's comforting to know that I'll soon be returning to the place where you never bring a gun to a sweagle fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment