Sunday, October 2, 2011

Landing on My Feet

by: Jaimie Gleissner


Getting into a normal routine has been pretty tough since my return to Illinois. I've spent the past week staying up until 3 in the morning, waking up late in the afternoon, eating fast food, drinking beer, and hanging out with my friends and family. Upon departing Yes Bay, I had a whole list of things I needed to get done. Since I don't remember what was on that list, it's safe to say I haven't accomplished any of it.

Actually, I have gotten a couple things done this week. I've managed to complete another year of living, and when I went to the liquor store to buy beer, I walked out with a job... and beer. I haven't done much thinking, though I have decided that I will be moving to Denver. My first week back, as you can see, has been extremely uneventful.

This time last year I was getting ready to drive across the country. I went from living in South Eastern Alaska to Wickenburg, Arizona. Everything was scary, and I felt shell shocked for much of the move. The transition into society has been a lot easier this time around. Instead of timidly testing the waters, I threw myself into civilization. Working as a seasonal professional has taught me a lot of things, and the most important thing I've learned is to embrace the unfamiliar situation.

That being said, lately, I feel like a cat that's stuck in a tree. I've managed to get myself to a really high branch. The view is pretty good, but it's starting to get dark, and I'm getting pretty hungry. Not to mention, it's getting cold. Looking around, I realize that I don't know how to get down, so I start mewing and hope someone will hear me and get me out of this tree. Finally, it dawns on me that no one is coming. The only option I have is to stop being such a pussy and jump. After all, I am a cat. I'll probably land on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment