Wednesday, October 19, 2011

First Impressions

by: Samantha Bermitz 

My first impression of college is that it's scary. You are an adult now and are paying for school. Making sure you pick a career path that you are passionate about is something that can be extremely intimidating.

In a couple of days I will be starting college. There are so many thoughts and feelings running through me that I can't properly process them. I'm super nervous and find myself panicking about the importance of first impressions. In order to make sure that everyone knows how passionate I am about cooking, I try to project an air of confidence combined with an eagerness to learn which doesn’t come easy when your nervous.

While on vacation, I’ve been mentally preparing for the up coming adventures (and by preparing I mean doing nothing). I am on vacation. Why should I do anything but relax? My boyfriend, Stephen, has been nothing but encouraging, and with all this relaxation going on, I've managed to calm down.

When I got to New York I kept thinking how intimidated I was by the fact that I was going to college. When Steven asked why, I said” Just think I am 18 and there are people of every age and from every walk of life who want to cook and most will be awesome at it. I want to be someone people notice, and I want to be the amazing student who stands out for all the good she does. I want to be the person who makes people nervous about their cooking.”

What Steven said next amazed me and made me love him more. "Baby, you are an amazing cook, and you are so passionate about everything you do. Those people in class should be afraid of you not you of them.”

After he said that I knew I would do awesome and be awesome. I had nothing to be worried about. I had experience from Yes Bay which will benefit me as I keep my mind on track. I'll be just fine.

Remember, if you love what you do you, will never work a day in you life.

p.s never bring a gun to a sweagle fight!

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, you will do just fine!! Your summer work at Yes Bay will help with your confidence, because you did well and cooked for paying customers and got rave reviews...

    Study hard and it will all work out!! Good Luck, although you won't need it, just hard work will earn your rewards!

    ReplyDelete