Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why Seasonal?


By: Lara Cleeland


Anyone can have what it takes to free oneself from the binding routine of a standard lifestyle: working a steady job, paying a housing lease, and owning a car. Being stuck in the confinement of the “American dream” can become boring; escape is the only alternative, and this can be done through seasonal work.

 I’ve perfected the art of being a true nomad, or as some might say, a traveling gypsy. I’ve run from the idea of settlement since I was still in high school. Though, I’ve never figured out if I was running away from boredom, or if I was searching for excitement. I guess in the end, the outcome is the same: Always in need of constant change, never feeling content. Either way, the simple fact remains that I struggle with the idea of being still. 
 
Seasonal work has helped to me to find reasoning and justification for my endless spree for adventure. I recommend it to all that are willing to give up the knowledge of what is coming next and trade that in for the unknown certainty of moving to a place unexplored in your rehearsed daily lifestyle. Rebel against the familiar and step into the realm of constant change. If you don’t like it, it’s only one season; there will be many more to figure out what you really want to do. Just take the first step, and see where the future will take you… I guarantee you won’t regret it.

2 comments: