Sunday, July 17, 2011

Getting Started


Traveling Tunes: Ray LaMontagne - “Devil's in the Jukebox”

At 18, I had figured out my life plan: go to college, become a CPA, live happily ever after. Shortly after classes began (and I started failing calculus), I realized accounting might not be my forte. An interest in coaching made me decide to become an English teacher only for me to change my mind a short time later, which is how I ended up in Alaska. 

Since leaving Illinois, I've developed a love for travel and a simplistic lifestyle. I alternate between living at work with free room and board and my car. In between gigs I've successfully managed to crash on various couches across the country. Working as a seasonal professional has allowed me to meet people from all walks of life leaving me with great friends and a lot of stories. 

A lesson I've learned from being professionally homeless: if you're willing to make some sacrifices, like having a permanent mailing address, you can get yourself anywhere you want to go. Many of my coworkers and close friends have shared this lesson with me, so my cohorts and I decided to share our experiences and offer our advice to anyone who is looking for a seasonal job or just trying to take a vacation on a low budget. You can find out more about us by checking out our Contributors page. We'll try our best to post weekly and look forward to your comments!

-Jaimie

No comments:

Post a Comment